Children’s human rights: interdisciplinary introduction course
Date: 24th January 2017
Category: General principles
Author: Centre for Children’s Rights Studies
The massive open online course (MOOC) in an introduction to children's human rights is now available on Coursera.
The course consists of seven topical modules:
1. International standards and monitoring systems
2. The history of children's rights in the context of human rights
3. Interdisciplinary children's rights studies
4. Juvenile justice
5. Violence against children
6. Children's right to participation
7. Children's rights and global health
The course is available on the Coursera's platform on-demand.
By the end of this course, participants will become familiar with the:
- basic features of the socio-historical background and main content of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC), and the United Nations monitoring mechanisms pertaining the implementation of the CRC;
- interdisciplinary features of children's rights studies as an epistemological field;
- background and main challenges of the legal framework in Juvenile Justice at the international level;
- complexity of violence against children as a phenomenon implying a multi-agency counteracting strategy;
- challenges in implementing children's participation rights and the theoretical aspects regarding children's agency;
- main features of the debate about global health, human rights and ethics, through a right-based approach.