Child friendly version of recommendations from Day of General Discussion 2018 now available
Date: 11th June 2020
Category: General measures of implementation
The UN Committee on the Rights of the Child dedicated its 2018 Day of General Discussion to the topic of protecting and empowering children as human rights defenders. These recommendations act as an advocacy tool and empower child human rights defenders.
The Committee holds a Day of General Discussion in Geneva every two years in September focused on a specific article of the Convention on the Rights of the Child or a related subject.
The 2018 Day of General Discussion was the first global discussion focusing on children as human rights defenders and for the first-time children played a central role in the planning, implementation and follow-up to an event of the Committee.
Children took active part during the day, participating as speakers, moderators and audience, alongside adults. The main goal of the Day of General Discussion was to increase public awareness and understanding on:
- The definition of child human rights defenders, their role and activities
- The situation, experiences and views of child human rights defenders
- The gaps in international, regional and national human rights law with regard to the protection and empowerment of child human rights defenders
- States’ obligations under international law in the protection and empowerment of child human rights defenders
- Adults’ roles and responsibilities related to the protection and empowerment of child human rights defenders.
From the Day of General Discussion, recommendations were made by the Committee and they have been captured in this child-friendly document here.