Six things our new Prime Minister should do for children’s rights
Date: 14th August 2019
Category: Civil Rights and Freedoms, Respect for the views of the child
A recent blog gives the new Prime Minister a few suggestions on how to ensure children and young people’s rights are protected and promoted.
The article, written by Just For Kids Law CEO, Enver Solomon, notes that children and young people’s voices didn’t play much part in the leadership contest, which was dominated by Brexit, and that it doesn’t seem that the new Prime Minister has a plan for how to protect and promote children’s rights.
To help him out, Just for Kids Law has put together a short to-do list with a few suggestions for how to set this right. The list includes:
- Reforming the law on school exclusion
- Ensuring appropriate housing for all children
- Putting the brakes on “Knife Crime Prevention Orders”
- Correcting an unjust criminal records system
- Protecting legal rights after Brexit
- and extending them further