Together publishes three briefings on UNCRC incorporation
Date: 11th July 2019
Together has produced three briefings related to incorporating the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC) into Scots law. The first aims to unpick and explain some of the consultation questions and support our members as they consider how to respond. The remaining two briefings are facilitator guides to help plan engagement sessions with children and young people.
Briefing to support members responding to the consultation
Together’s initial briefing:
- Unpicks and explains some of the questions in the consultation paper
- Demonstrates how the draft Children’s Rights (Scotland) Bill aligns with the Scottish Government’s proposal and supports the First Minister’s ambition
- Highlights learning from countries that have already incorporated the UNCRC, including Norway, Finland, Belgium, Sweden and Spain
- Explores developments closer to home that have prepared the way for incorporation – including the 2011 Welsh Measure and the Children and Young People Scotland Act 2014.
Facilitator briefings for engagement work with children and young people
Together has also produced two briefings to support members planning engagement work with children and young people around the consultation. The guides bring together suggestions from our members and divides these into key themes related to incorporation. Each theme contains ideas for related activities and questions.
- Facilitator briefing for engaging with children (8-12 years), also available in large print here.
- Facilitator briefing for engagement with young people (13 years+), also available in large print here.
In the coming weeks, Together will publish a position statement with key message. This will be circulated to members for comment.
Together's response to the consultation
We will publish our response to the consultation in late July.