Call for Members' Views: Children's Rights in the Digital Environment
Date: 18th April 2019
Category: Access to appropriate information, Protection of privacy, Freedom of association and peaceful assembly, Education, including vocational education, Respect for the views of the child
The UN Committee on the Rights of the Child will draft a new General Comment on children's rights in relation to the digital environment. Together is seeking its members' views to help inform its submission to the Committee.
The General Comment will set a new international standard for children’s rights in a digital world. This is necessary and timely, as children grow up in an increasingly connected world where technology has significant impacts on their lives.
Among other things, the new General Comment will explore key rights issues and clarify the roles and responsibilities of governments, businesses, parents and educators.
The Committee has produced a concept note for the new General Comment and has launched a consultation seeking views on this.
Comments are welcome in relation to all aspects of the concept note, with a particular focus on the following:
- The purpose and scope of the General Comment;
- The structure of the General Comment;
- General measures of implementation by State parties needed to realise children’s rights in relation to the digital environment;
- Views on the issues and questions raised in the concept note; and
- Suggestions for new issues for inclusion in the General Comment.
Together members who would like to get involved, or share related resources with us, should contact email@example.com by Friday 3rd May 2019.