New strategy to improve services for looked after children
Date: 8th December 2015
Category: Looked after children
The Children's Minister Aileen Campbell has announced new plans for looked after children which will aim to improve services and help ensure every child has a permanent home.
The Scottish Government's new Strategy for Looked After Children and Young People (LAC) claims it will:
- ensure the right services are in place to support families as early as possible;
- speed up decisions to reduce multiple placements and help all children have a permanent home;
- provide better support matched to each child's needs;
- benefit children who have traditionally been hard to place, such as those with additional support requirements;
- introduce a degree qualification for residential staff and a mandatory learning and development framework for foster carers;
- improve services and support organisations to meet the needs of children in care.
- Download the looked after children strategy here.
- Read more details of the announcement in the news release.