Review of the UN human rights treaty body system published
Date: 10th December 2020
Category: Other human rights treaties and mechanisms, Reporting to and monitoring the UNCRC
The review considers the effectiveness of the UN human rights treaty body system and makes recommendations on how the system could be further strengthened and enhanced.
The report was prepared by Permanent Representatives of Morocco and Switzerland to the UN. Their recommendations focus on the following issues:
- Use of information and communication technologies
- Alignment of working methods and rules of procedure
- Fixed Calendar and Periodicity of the human rights treaty bodies sessions
- Accessibility by different stakeholders
- Capacity building and technical assistance
- Budgetary issues
Amnesty International has created a civil society position paper in reaction to this report. The paper includes further recommendations to enhance the effective functioning of the human rights treaty system.