Programme for Government 2019-20 commits to furthering children’s rights
Date: 11th September 2019
Category: Policies & procedures
The 2019-20 Programme for Government sets out a range of commitments relevant to children and young people’s rights under the UNCRC.
The commitments include:
- UNCRC incorporation: delivering the legislation needed for the UNCRC incorporation by the end of this Parliamentary term in 2021.
- Reducing child poverty: bringing forward the Scottish Child Payment, with the first payments expected to be made by Christmas 2020.
- Children and young people with ASN: investing £15million for additional frontline staff to support children and young people with additional support needs for learning.
- Care-experienced children and young people: bringing forward a new statutory provision in the Children’s Bill to keep siblings together if they are brought into care.
- Mental health and wellbeing: developing 24/7 crisis support for children and young people and their families; putting into place a new community wellbeing service enabling self-referral for children and young people; 350 additional school counsellors in place.
- School meals: increase the amount of fruit and vegetables served; reduce the amount of sugar available throughout the school day; encourage the use of fresh, local and sustainable produce; introduce a Good Food Nation Bill before the Scottish Parliament.