Together attends Child Rights Connect 2019 General Assembly
Date: 14th May 2019
Category: Reporting to and monitoring the UNCRC
Together’s Director and Legal and Policy Manager attended Child Rights Connect's 2019 General Assembly in Geneva last week.
Child Rights Connect is a membership organisation that works to ensure children’s human rights are respected worldwide. It supports its 80 member organisations, based across the world, to have their voices heard in the UN monitoring processes - including reporting to the UN Committee on the Rights of the Child.
The 2019 General Assembly was spread across two days, filled with constructive and inspiring discussions among the membership.
Key updates from the General Assembly include:
- Welcoming new Director, Dr Alex Conte: Alex Conte is a human rights lawyer with 20 years’ experience. He currently works with the International Commission of Jurists and will begin his work as Director in July 2019.
- Appointment of new President, Dr Maria Herczog: Maria Herczog is a former member of the UN Committee on the Rights of the Child.
- Adoption of the new Strategic Plan 2020-2024: to be published shortly.
- Presentation of 2018 Annual Report: to be published shortly.
- 30th anniversary of the UNCRC activities: discussion around activities to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the UNCRC. Activities include: new child-friendly version of the UNCRC to be launched by UNICEF, a 3-day conference at UN Geneva in November, a Member State pledge initiative led by the CRC Committee. Child Rights Connect and members’ plans will be shared on this dedicated webpage.
- Study on global engagement in CRC reporting: presentation on findings of the study by Laura Theytaz. Report to be published in the coming weeks.
- Approval of three new members: Child Pact, Institute on Statelessness and Inclusion, Lumos