The Committee on the Rights of the Child will draft a General Comment on children’s rights in relation to the digital environment.
Date: 7th March 2019
Category: Civil Rights and Freedoms, General principles, General measures of implementation
Closing date 15 May 2019. The Committee on the Rights of a Child will set a new international standard for children’s rights in a digital world. It is necessary and timely, as children grow up in an increasingly connected world where technology has critically significant impacts on their lives.
Among other things, the new General Comment will explore key rights and clarify the roles and responsibilities of government, business, parents, educators and children themselves. The Committee has just launched an Online Consultation on Children’s Rights in relation to the Digital Environment. The Committee invites all interested parties to comment on the concept note of the General Comment. Submissions are welcome on all aspects of the concept note for the General Comment, with a particular focus on the following:
- The purpose and scope of the General Comment;
- The structure of the General Comment;
- General measures of implementation by State parties needed to realise children’s rights in relation to the digital environment;
- Views on the issues and questions raised in the concept note; and
- Suggestions for new issues for inclusion in the General Comment.
The deadline for submissions is 15 May 2019.