Reforming the Scottish Parliament from a human rights perspective
Date: 2nd May 2017
Category: Other human rights treaties and mechanisms
The Scottish Human Rights Commission (SHRC) has responded to the Scottish Parliament's Commission on Parliamentary Reform.
In their response, the SHRC recommend that the Scottish Parliament should:
- Further embed a rights based approach in structures and processes to strengthen its effectiveness to deliver the best outcomes for the lives of people in Scotland.
- Work with international partners to ensure that Scotland learns from developing good practice.
- Build MSP and staff capacity in relation to human rights to ensure that the Parliament is able to act as a human rights guarantor.
- Work together with the Commission in accordance with the Belgrade Principles to ensure the promotion and protection of human rights.
- Read the full list of recommendations in the SHRC's consultation submission.
The Belgrade Principles provide guidance on the relationships between National Human Rights Institutions and Parliaments.