Together’s response to Pregnancy and Parenthood in Young People Strategy
Date: 13th October 2015
Category: Parental responsibilities, Parental guidance
Together submitted a response to the Scottish Government consultation on a Pregnancy and Parenthood in Young People Strategy, to help ensure that the Strategy is developed, implemented and monitored using a rights approach and reflecting the government's obligations under the UNCRC.
Key recommendations in Together's response included:
- Undertake a Child Rights and Wellbeing Impact Assessment;
- Continue and enhance the meaningful involvement of young people in the development, monitoring and evaluation of the Strategy;
- Take account of UNCRC jurisprudence in the further development of the Strategy;
- Complement the Strategy with a coherent approach across Scottish Government to positive parenting;
- Link the Strategy to the wider preventative agenda.
Together's 2015 non-government report to the UN Committee on the Rights of the Child on implementation of the UNCRC in Scotland comments on the extent to which children and young people's right to health and adolescent health services are being met.