Election results announced for UN Committee on the Rights of the Child
Date: 25th June 2014
Category: Reporting to and monitoring the UNCRC
On the 25th June 2014, States met at the UN General Assembly in New York to elect nine people to serve on the 18-strong UN Committee on the Rights of the Child.
Elections to the Committee take place every two years, and members are elected for a term of four years. Those selected will replace outgoing members of the 18-strong Committee whose terms expire on 28 February 2015.
As part of the Child Rights International Network (CRIN) Transparency Campaign, they have interviewed a number of the candidates to get a better picture of their credentials in the areas of children's rights, what they think about key issues and their vision for the Committee.
The following are the successful nine newly elected or re-eleceted candidates who have won a seat on the Committee:
- Ms. Suzanne Aho Assouma (Togo)
- Ms. Hynd Ayoubi Idrissi (Morocco) Mr. Jorge Cardona Llorens (Spain)
- Mr. Joseph Clarence Nelson (Samoa)
- Mr. Bernard Gastaud (Monaco)
- Mr. Hatem Kotrane (Tunisia)
- Mr. Gehad Madi (Egypt)
- Mr. José Ángel Rodriguez Reyes (Venezuela)
- Ms. Kirsten Sandberg (Norway)