New strategy to improve services for looked after children
The Children's Minister Aileen Campbell has announced new plans for looked after children which will aim to improve services and help ensure every child has a permanent home.
The Scottish Government's new Strategy for Looked After Children and Young People (LAC) claims it will:
- ensure the right services are in place to support families as early as possible;
- speed up decisions to reduce multiple placements and help all children have a permanent home;
- provide better support matched to each child's needs;
- benefit children who have traditionally been hard to place, such as those with additional support requirements;
- introduce a degree qualification for residential staff and a mandatory learning and development framework for foster carers;
- improve services and support organisations to meet the needs of children in care.
- Download the looked after children strategy here.
- Read more details of the announcement in the news release.
Sign up to our e-Newsletter
Get the very latest on children’s rights by following us on Twitter.